Everything happens for a reason, right?

I use this expression time and time again. I used it today to justify my bad luck. Not putting on my winter boots made me cold, which made me hesitant to leave the library, which allowed me to chat with someone I haven't see in a while, which led to conversation and the recommendation of a crucial text for a research paper. If I wore my boots, I would not have come to know of that text by the end of the night. But what if I'm just using the expression as an excuse because I don't want to image the other possible outcome?

Saying everything happens for a reason is like saying the status quo is awesome and we should take everything that comes our way with open arms because it'll ultimately pay off. How can it not be perceived as an excuse? Some (not me) say slavery happened for a reason: to open society's eyes and create equality throughout the world regardless of race. Fine. But slavery could've been avoided; there was no moral reason it had to begin. While I agree the positive effects outweigh the cause, the institution of slavery has yet to end to this day and there's no reason why not. Saying it happened for a reason but having the reason not be an absolute end, or at the minimum a means to an end, sounds to me like a justification to deal with an unsavory situation and suppress our moral protests for the sake of blind optimism without effort.

I still use the expression but it sits unwell with me every time. It's not that I'm opposed to the idea of destiny or fate, but that I can't afford to let change or stasis happen around me without questioning it or engaging with it. What I need is a new expression that fits in with my beliefs regarding life, narratives, human rights, social justice, etc. And what we all need is to start questioning everything that happens and stop reasoning with ourselves that it'll get better on its own. It won't if we don't take agency of our lives and accountability of our actions.

This is a question I have struggled with for a while and I still don't know how to articulate my confusions on. Language - as much as it is a powerful system, it is also limited.

Comments

Popular Posts