Happy Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day is more than a day to send your loved one a box of chocolates, it has a historical meaning which is often overlooked by the mass public because of the strong archetypes presented to society by Hollywood and other influential media sources (similar to how the interpretation of Thanksgiving and Columbus Day are based off of popular tales and not facts).  I want to leave this thought lingering in the air for when you get off of your cloud and decide to learn the origins of such a celebrated holiday.

Rather, I want to send this message to all of those who are alone. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH NOT BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP. Much to my mother's dismay (I wonder if she even reads this blog), I will confess that it downright sucks to be alone on such a lovey-dovey occasion. Much as you try to not let it enter your stream of attention, it's hard to ignore practically everyone holding hands or holding flowers. At times I want to tell them to keep their personal affairs to themselves, but who am I to deny others of this simple form of happiness? But I choose not to be in a relationship because my life doesn't need that right now. There's enough going on and I don't have a void I need to fill.

I won't give you some rant about how you don't need to be in a relationship to be happy. If you want one, go get one. But don't act sour because others are in one. That's all. Wish others a happy v-day even if yours isn't as happy as you'd prefer.

And if you do happen to enter that stage today, just remember that if you enter a relationship for any reason other than your genuine desire to become closer to that particular person, then you shouldn't be int he relationship to begin with. Don't enter because you have an ulterior gain, or because you feel a social pressure to do so. And especially don't enter knowing you want to depend on the other. YOU NEED TO STAND STRONG ON YOUR OWN BEFORE YOU DRAG SOMEONE ELSE ALONG.

But if you don't enter that stage just yet, remember this: There's nothing wrong with you if you don't currently have a partner. Remember that you're you and if the other person can't appreciate you or handle you as you are, it's not worth your time.


The greatest love of all is loving yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts