The safety of metal detectors

They didn't care that the water bottle was sealed and you bought it just outside the doors. Not even baby formula was exempt. Everything had to be scanned. I thought it was ridiculous. They thought it was the protection the city needs. If you raised a concern or asked why, they enlisted half a dozen more pairs to watch you march to the plank of the ferry and only offered a response of "policy." Didn't tell you the policy or where you could find it to read it yourself. And I didn't ask because I already held up the line for long enough.


Once on the boat, I look to my right and see a dejected little sister. Her wide brown eyes staring longingly out the window to the skyline while her hands clench her seat, willing her body to overpower her heart - she'll act how she thinks I want her to act rather than allow her excitement to safely walk her to the rail and absorb all that she can. She doesn't want to disappoint me any further than the officers did. Though the situation's easy to read, I ask anyway.

"Abby, what's wrong?"
"Nothing." Typical.
"Come on," I prod gently. "You look sad."
"It's my fault you're upset."
"First of all, it's not you're fault. Why would you think that?"
"Because I suggested coming here. If I didn't, then that wouldn't have happened."
"It's not your fault. They were the ones looking at me weird. But, you know, I would've come with you even if I knew I would have to go through that 100 times." She searches my face to make sure I am not lying. When she's satisfied by the sincerity, she asks, "Then why are you mad?"
"I'm not mad; I'm disappointed."
"Oh."

She didn't get it, but she was willing to end the conversation there. Always considerate of others, she didn't want to provoke further disappointment by having me elaborate. But because I refuse to keep my sister ignorant about situations I find problematic, I spoke anyway.

For my sister's birthday today, my family and I decided to take her to Liberty Island and Ellis Island. Along the way we would fill her mind with lots of history, culture, and food. And of course take lots of pictures. Given that The Statue of Liberty is a highly-visited area and New York City is a global center, the high security measures are expected. My issue is with this filter of threat. What the officers were unable to understand is that threats do not only come in the physical form of knives and guns, but also radiation and magnetic interference, for example. If America can fight a figurative enemy like terrorism, why not a figurative enemy in the science&health fields as well, like germs, diseases, radiation, etc.?

I understand the security of metal detectors.  I would not advocate to remove them, especially in this era at this location. However, be aware that security does not mean safety. I was disappointed that the officers were trained to perceive external threats and not internal ones as well. A narrowed approach to safety is a weak approach and speaks of not only the mindset of those individual officers, but the mindset of the collective, and of the system as well.

With a flushed face, Abby nodded and swallowed deeply. I smiled my brightest smile and told her to not be afraid to question. Though there will be resistance, the only way to strive for better is by first understanding.

"So, why was the Statue of Liberty made?" She's getting there.



Comments

Popular Posts