Health Tips

I am a huge advocate for healthy lifestyles, not just physically but mentally and socially/emotionally. I shared this post on my Google+ account, but thought it was worth the reshare here. Stay healthy! 

You are old enough to (hopefully) know the effects certain choices have on your health. Yes you should eat less fast food. Yes you should do some exercise. Yes you should drink lots of water and get those vitamins. YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS. But sometimes it's easy to forget that mental health and social health is just as important as physical health.

Here are two suggestions I'd like to share with you. Because I'm a student, time is a luxury. I can't afford the time to go to the gym every day or be picky about my food when I have only 10 minutes between classes to get food. I have so much work that I spend more time sitting in front of my computer than I do sleeping. So here's some things I do, and I commend it to you:

1) Laying down puts you to sleep. Standing up tires you out. So you sit. But is sitting the best option? Only if practiced in moderation: http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-sitting-all-day-is-damaging-your-body-and-how-you-can-counteract-it

2) You sleep too little and feel groggy. You sleep too much and feel groggy. Where's the balance? Simple, sleep in terms of sleep cycles. If you disrupt your sleep cycle (which lasts about 90 minutes on average) particularly during REM periods, your brain will tell your body you're tired because it didn't get to finish working. If you don't have 6-9 hours to sleep tonight, check out this website and it'll tell you (based on the standard) what time is best to fall asleep/wake-up and minimize your fatigue: http://sleepyti.me/

Am I missing any tips you'd suggest?

Comments

Popular Posts