Digitize Me: Reflections on Your Virtual Self

There are psych studies on the effects of social media - great for connection, target for bullying, pros and cons to self-esteem, etc. Since the rise of social media, our perception of others and ourselves is slowing being redefined. Our sense of agency is expanding and contrasting. I don't favor social media. I have a Google+ profile for (mostly) article-sharing, this blog for self-expression, and a YouTube account to connect family moments with distant relatives. Time and time again I am asked why I don't make an account on another site. I have my reasons, and those reasons are my own. I find it problematic that I am constantly questioned about my lack of presence on other social media sites. I wonder where would I socially fare if I refrained from social media usage completely (emails and phone calls would be the only means of contact).



How do you express yourself online and through social media? How do your "virtual selves" impact your "real lives" (from self-esteem, to friendships, to relationships, to careers)? Should the two remain individual or be reciprocals, and where's the distinction?

Comments

Popular Posts