Big Kid Pancakes :)

When we're very young, we want nothing more than to do what the grown ups do. Not necessarily grow up, but become more capable. We see everyone tying their sneakers and we want to learn to tie our sneakers too. However, more than the capability of tying our shoes, it's being given responsibility and knowing we are trusted with completing this task. As a little girl, I can remember my mom teaching me and the biggest smile appeared on my face when she told me "good job", which wasn't completely true because it was a weak knot. She complimented not my ability but my drive.

We all need that assurance when we try new things, regardless of our age or task. A simple nod of encouragement, handshake of pride, or a smile of appreciation.

Today, I made pancakes. A simple task, I know, but not something I knew how to do before. And I'm happy. Not only because I learned how but because my dad trusted me enough to give me his secret recipe. He took time out of his busy day to show me step by step. I feel like I grew up a little today.



Comments

Popular Posts